Office 365 VS Google Apps – A comparison
Here’s a quick comparison of two leading cloud productivity solutions- Office 365 and Google Apps for Work, to let you pick the best fit for your business.
In this cloud connected world, ubiquitous access to emails, files, contacts and other communication tools has become the essentiality for obtaining “business productivity.”
Organizations incline towards tools that can increase their workplace productivity.
Here, it is important to understand that productivity is not about doing more work, it is about impacting more by doing less.
The cloud productivity solutions for your business is the future. Companies are leaving no stone unturned to make it successful.
When talking about cloud productivity solutions, two names keep popping up:
- Microsoft Office 365
- Google Apps
Both the solutions are cloud optimized, which leads many IT leaders and CIOs to the dilemma of choosing the right service.
We are going to have a small comparison between the two productivity suites. We will have a look at the services that they offer and other comparable features.
What do the business communication solutions offer?
Microsoft Office 365:
Office 365 by Microsoft is an enterprise productivity application. Delivered through cloud platform, it includes Exchange Online, Skype for Business, Word and Excel for documentation, database management and analysis. Many of the Office 365 plans come with desktop friendliness and can be installed across multiple computers and devices. They are paid for on a subscription basis which can be monthly or annually.
Office 365 helps in improving interdepartmental collaboration and communication. With its instant messaging apps like Skype, you can easily contact anyone on the network, and it also helps organizations to keep track of their contacts (majorly employees).
Google Apps for Business offers business houses with productivity and communication enhancement tools like docs, sheet, Gmail and more. Many small and medium businesses have identified Google apps as an effective tool to create, edit and share documents, to manage company mails, and to organize meetings and appointments. Google apps in India or across the globe, is rising as a productivity enhancement solution for enterprises.
Drawing comparison – Office 365 VS Google Apps:
To begin with, we have put together a comparison chart, in order to see the differences between the two:
|Features||Office 365||Google Apps|
|Email service||It works on Exchange Online to transfer emails.||It provides Gmail for facilitating email transfers.|
|Documents||It has Word.||It has Docs.|
|Spreadsheets||It relies on Excel.||It has Sheets.|
|Presentations||PowerPoint tool is there.||It provides slides.|
|IMs||Skype for Business||Hangouts|
Communication in an organization is either through emails or through IMs. Hence, it is important that the communication tools are always accessible and at the same time, they provide security of the data.
- Microsoft Outlook allows you to send and receive emails with high, medium or low importance. Gmail also allows you some level of control on your inbox.
- Gmail offers limited ability to categorize mails.
- Microsoft Outlook’s “Clutter” makes email management and filtration easier for its users.
- Outlook’s offline accessibility allows you to manage work even without an internet connection.
- Gmail also have an offline accessibility, you can see the received mails and new mails will be sent once you get online.
- Outlook’s interactive calendar settings allow you to schedule meetings in a single click. Gmail’s Hangouts also help in scheduling and arranging meetings with simple clicks.
- Messaging and conferencing
- With Skype for Business, you can chat and track at the same time. Its real time monitoring helps you to set status depending upon your availability as busy, in a meeting or even do not disturb.
- Hangouts also allow you to chat. But it fails to keep real time provisioning.
- Data or conversation history is easily saved in outlook which can be kept for future reference.
- Hangouts also allow you to save the conversation history.
Though both Google and Microsoft give online storage facility, they differ in storage space provided.
- With Google apps, you get 30GB storage based on per user for email, storage and pictures online.
- Microsoft on the other hand, provides 50GB storage per user and gives 1TB additionally for OneDrive.
Managing online meetings
- With Skype for Business, schedule, attend and share documents during meetings instantly. Ability to share screens make users more interactive. It can support up to 300 users.
- Google’s hangouts allows up to 25 users, with the capability to get involved in a face to face interaction. The best things is that you can even send broadcast videos to your contacts.
- With Office 365, you get to work comfortably on all software and devices. It syncs easily without requiring any additional plugins.
- Google somehow lacks in compatibility. It supports mainly Chrome browser. Data syncing is still a challenge for Google Apps.
- With Office 365’s apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc. you can create interactive data and also keep their offline versions.
- Advanced number crunching is possible with Excel, and Google sheets as compared to Excel, do not offer that level of interpretations.
- Presentations over PowerPoint give better assessment of data as compared to Google’s slides.
Both Office 365 and Google apps can be good options for enterprises in terms of productivity. When we look at the Microsoft Office 365, its area of coverage and accepting complexities is more advanced than Google Apps. Hence, it is suitable for any organization which has a complex internal structure. Google apps are perfect in terms of their easy to use features. A company which needs a much simple form of communication solution can opt for Google Apps.
Still, the end choice to buy Microsoft Office 365 or to go with Google Apps is in your hands. You should analyze your organization’s requirement for communication and the complexities involved before going for any one of them. We hope, our comparison between the two productivity suites will help you in taking an informed decision.
Courtesy: Znetlive Team